Beauty - Fashion - Advice - Reviews- College Life - My Opinion

Thursday, August 7, 2014

(Wander) Lust for Life

I've always had this wish to see the entire world. Its my childhood (and grown up) dream to go shopping in Paris, talk to locals in in Berlin (I studied German for 4 years), drink beer in Dublin, and eat sushi in Tokyo. So many magical towns and cities with incredible histories reside across the pond. In my mind, its crazy to not want to take advantage of what this beautiful, mysterious world has to offer. There are so many people out there who are unlike anyone you've ever had the pleasure of being around. 

I believe that we, as human beings, owe it to ourselves to experience different cultures, exotic ways of thinking, and foreign values. In the end, it will make us more well-rounded and have an open mind.

Personally, I think everything takes practice. So, its really important to me that I explore on a smaller level before I start doing any worldwide exhibitions.

I come from a very tiny town on the summit of a mountain located in the Pennsylvania segment of the Appalachians.

Via EpoDunk

Google Maps needed the "magnifying glass" setting to take Cresson's picture.

I spent most of the time that I've lived here walking. Walking everywhere. I found every little nook and cranny there was and loved every second of it. As an added bonus, I became an exceptionally good delivery girl because of it.

I've also lived in a small town near Lancaster and Harrisburg called "Middletown", and before that, I lived in Fayetteville, North Carolina. I hated moving around everywhere at the time. But now that I look back on it, it was a really cool experience. I know all sorts of different things based on where I lived.

But anyway, what I'm trying to say is: I've had this urge to explore my own state lately. The fact that I lived here and such cool things happen so close to me broaden my horizons, and push me to go further. And some really cool things have happened here!

Most of my adventures so far have occurred in the western side of PA (because I live there). Here are some of my highlights:

Latrobe, PA




My biggest adventure by far has been to this popular Pittsburgh suburb. I go to college here, live here for 3/4 of the year, and I have met my beautiful best friends Brittany, Liz, Casey, and Jill here. I am slowly but surely conquering this peaceful town; banana splits, Fred Rogers, Steelers Training camp, and all.

Pittsburgh, PA


It doesn't matter who you are, this city is beautiful. It is one of the most alive cities I have ever been in because of their pride. Trust me..it's not all about the sports here. These people are proud of who they are and where they came from and what their families' built. Spend a few minutes talking to a local and you'll understand.

Lancaster, PA


Lancaster is so humbling and serene. The simplicity of the Amish countryside is so welcoming, and reminds you to stay modest in this difficult world. Many people get so angry with how the Amish live, especially how they ride their buggies on the road.. As a child, I thought it was so mystical! It reminded me of Cinderella's pumpkin carriage. The local food is fantastic, and never forget to stop in the flea markets. I would probably move here again if I could.

Centralia, PA


Silent Hill. Full o' Penises.


Centralia is a small town in central PA that, since the 1980's, has been abandoned. A massive coal fire lit underneath the town, and still burns today. Carbon monoxide poisoning and gaping, fiery holes have threatened the town to depopulation. I love this place so much because of what mother nature has done to it; it gives an eye-opening insight to what the world will look like after we humans are gone. And, as weird as it sounds, but I love the graffiti. We have no clue what kind of people have visited this town and tagged it- okay, Yeah, probably a bunch of teenagers from the neighboring town. But still..all kinds of talented people have been there, and its obvious.


Breezewood, PA


I don't know all that much about Breezewood, except for the fact that the Abandoned PA Turnpike starts here. And I love this very place very much for the same reasons as I love Centralia- the nature, and the graffiti. Plus, the bike ride is KILLER! If you ever want to lose 5 pounds in one day, all you have to do is go through the first tunnel and reach the second, and turn back. 

Of course, these are only a few of the places I've been to in PA. These happen to be a few of my favorites, though.

All I'm saying is, adventure and travel is right in your backyard. Always be familiar with your home before you expand. Fun fact: I've been to all of these places with the love of my life. You should try it sometime- traveling brings relationships closer.

Until next time-

Lexi



1 comment:

  1. This Brittany person seems interesting. I wonder if she enjoys reading your blog..

    ReplyDelete